44% of U.S. adults are single, and 27% of adults live alone. (Source- census.gov) If this trend continues, soon, the majority of our population will be single.
Here at Relationship Coaching Institute we have a positive attitude about most aspects of human experience, including our slogan that Being Single is an Opportunity, Not a Disease!
But not all singles are alike, they come in different flavors such as these Top Seven Types of Singles
Top Seven Types of Singles
1. Temporarily Single- actively seeking a partner and in between relationships
2. Recently Divorced/Widowed- recovering from loss and not ready for a relationship
3. Frustrated Single- wants a partner, not able to find one and gives up
4. Passive Single- wants a relationship but not actively seeking a partner
5. Single But Not Available- self-perception of being single and desires a lasting relationship,
but “hooking up” to get needs met
6. Busy/Distracted Single- absorbed in being a single parent, career, school, etc and doesn’t
have time or desire for partner
7. Single by Choice- no desire for a partner, being single is a conscious permanent lifestyle choice
for many reasons, including-
- “Been there, done that, don’t want to do it again”
- “Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?”
- Ascetic or other religious/spiritual reason
- Values independence more than couplehood
- Polyamory/alternative lifestyle that doesn’t lend itself to cohabitation
- Financial reasons
If you’re single, which are you?
If you’re a coach for singles, how do you help the different types?
Here’s the recording of a stimulating panel discussion of guest experts exploring the (apparently) complex world of being single in today’s world. Enjoy!
Tereasa Jones, MS
Karin Flodstrom, Psy.D.
Rosemary (Rosie) Hirst
Free Resources for Singles and Couples
For singles: www.consciousdating.com/free-stuff/
For couples: www.coupleforlife.com/free-stuff/
Free Relationship Coach Starter Kit
Passionate about relationships? Want to make a difference? Here’s what you need to know about coaching, relationship coaching, how to get clients & have a successful coaching business.