Ever wonder what your life would be like as a coach?
How would you get clients?
Would you work from home, an office, or both?
Would you coach one-on-one, lead groups, workshops or other options?
The International Coach Federation (ICF) has defined professional coaching as follows:
“Coaching is partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential. Coaching honors the client as the expert in his/her life and work and believes that every client is creative, resourceful, and whole.”
The Client-Coach Partnership
As a coach, you “partner” with your client in the most literal sense of the word. Yes, you know more “stuff” about your area of expertise. That’s fine and the way it’s supposed to be. But you don’t know more “stuff” about your client than he or she does. And so coaching only works when both parties form a genuine partnership built on mutual sharing, collaboration and cooperation. This is of particular importance and sometimes difficult to do when you think you have the solutions and answers for your client.
So what do professional coaches do? They provide an ongoing partnership that helps their clients produce fulfilling results in their personal and professional lives. Ultimately, coaches help people improve their performances and enhance the quality of their lives.
And how do they do it? Coaches listen and customize their approach to individual client needs. They believe that their job is to support their client to enhance the skills, resources, and creativity that they already have; the true embodiment of “empowerment.”
In short, coaches:
- Discover, clarify, and align with what the client wants to achieve
- Encourage client self-discovery
- Elicit client-generated solutions and strategies
- Support the client to get into action and achieve their desired results
Sound simple? Yes, as with most things in life, success is simple, but not easy. A good coach is one who INSPIRES and SUPPORTS you to achieve the dream you’ve always WANTED but never thought POSSIBLE.
What your life could look like
Doris Helge, Ph.D.
About Doris’ coaching business:
- provides weekly teleclasses including, “Transform a Painful Relationship Into a Powerful Partnership”
- coaches singles and couples all over the world
- sends a monthly newsletter with special tips that help you when your relationship resiliency or confidence wane
- writes bestselling books like “Conquer Your Inner Critic” and “Transforming Pain Into Power”
produces videos and podcasts
- has been interviewed on CNN, NPR and “The Today Show”
- often quoted in major magazine and newspaper articles
- internet syndicated columnist
Dr. Jackie Black
About Jackie’s coaching business:
- works by telephone with individuals and couples all over the world
- distributes a monthly tip sheet
- creates podcasts
- guest expert on radio stations throughout the world
- cited in major magazines in the U.S. and abroad
- internet syndicated columnist, relationship blogger and educator
- writes relationship books
About Kim’s coaching business:
- One-on-one coaching
- In-person singles events
- couples retreats on her boat!
About Carol’s coaching business:
- coaches clients virtually all over the globe
- 2 monthly newsletters
- Soulmate Discovery Program
About Lewis’ coaching business:
- private coaching for singles and couples
- Conscious Dating program to individuals and groups
- face-to-face workshops
- couples enrichment workshops